Naughty children cause their parents a lot of trouble. Calling children to order is ineffective, and punishments only make matters worse. How do parents act in such situations? Consider the most common manifestations of bad behavior in preschoolers and try to understand how to deal with them. Features of bad behavior in preschool children.
The child interrupts the parents
Young children quickly become agitated and, if they want to say something, do so immediately. That’s why they constantly interrupt their parents. When communicating with a three-year-old child, follow these guidelines:
- Allow the child to negotiate the phrase to the end. Listen to her without interrupting, and only then start talking yourself.
- Explain to the child that you did not interrupt her and listened to the end, and now she must listen to you. Say that she will have the opportunity to say what she wants, after you finish saying, “Let Mom finish, darling” or “Mom hasn’t agreed yet.”
The child turns to a loud scream
Young children, especially under the age of three, may not always be able to express their thoughts and feelings verbally. They tend to express anger or other negative emotions in different ways, by shouting as well. If your child starts screaming, do the following:
- Do not shout at the child in response. This only convinces her that such behavior is normal.
- Use games to teach your child to speak calmly. For example, you can start by competing who shouts louder and then who can speak quieter.
- Recognize the baby’s feelings, talk to him. Although it is impossible to fully communicate with a one-year-old child, your words can calm her down and she will stop screaming.
The child runs away
Feeling angry, the child runs away and hides? This can be dangerous if such incidents occur on the road, in a supermarket or in other public places. You can protect your child if you follow these rules:
- Follow the child’s movements. Always hold her hand in public places and at crosswalks.
- Explain to the child where you can run and where you can’t. Show this by the example of other people: where they walk and what they do. For example, show your child how children run and play in the park and explain that you can run here.
The child pulls others by the hair, pinches or bites
Young children shout, fight or pull their parents’ hair when they think they are being treated badly. The only way to deal with this behavior is to let the child know that their behavior is not working:
- Stop your child every time he pulls his hair or pinches himself and others. Explain to her that this is not possible.
- Talk to your child and explain to them that pulling their hair is bad.
- Do not pull the baby by the hair to show that it hurts. The child can take this as a game and try to do it again.
The child scatters things
At the age of one and a half to three years, a child often scatters things when upset, or does so simply out of curiosity. It can scatter food, toys or other things.
Must Read: How to raise a confident teenager
- To prevent your baby from breaking valuables, show him what you can throw: balls, soft or rubber toys that will not break.
- Wean him from throwing things when he feels angry or aggressive. Try to ignore such behavior. If your child continues to do this or throws things at other children, stop them immediately. Say, “No! It’s bad “or” No! It hurts!” At the same time, talk to the child in a calm tone.
- Find a way to prevent this behavior in your child. For example, in a car you can tie toys to the seat. So the baby will not be able to throw them.
How to deal with a child’s bad behavior at home
Parents often think, “Why are children so capricious?” Bad behavior of the child causes stress in parents. The following instructions will help you quickly deal with your child’s misbehavior.
- Don’t pay attention. When you react to a child’s bad behavior, you provoke him to continue to do the same.
- Have a positive attitude to this problem. If you are too worried about your baby’s behavior, you are unlikely to be able to find an effective way to deal with it. Focus on changes in behavior.
- Be consistent in your reaction to your child’s behavior. It is also important to establish penalties for misconduct and to adhere to this rule at all times. So the baby will sooner or later change his behavior.
- Sometimes you can change the rules to change your child’s old habits. For example, you can reduce the time spent watching TV, computer games or other activities, if it will benefit her.
- Set a positive example for your child. Change your behavior if you want your child to change his or her own. Children of all ages learn by watching you and imitating you. They think that parents know better how to behave.
- Don’t worry too much about the usual shouting, arguing or arguing. This does not necessarily mean that the child has problems with discipline.
- Encourage good behavior. For thanking her parents after a meal, helping her mother at home, not interrupting others during the conversation, and many other things
Classes for children with behavioral problems
The most effective way to deal with bad behavior in children, especially preschoolers, is to keep them busy. One of the following exercises can help you with this.
- Exercise and games are the best way to “let off steam”. When a child is worried or angry, it is better for him to play outside so that he calms down. If a child has a lot of unspent energy, she pours it out in other ways available to her – through tantrums, destructive behavior.
- Role-playing games are a great activity that can teach a child to cope with their impulsiveness. One of the main reasons for a child’s bad behavior is a lack of self-control, and role-playing games will help develop it.
- Ask your child to read aloud to you. Do this before bed, when the child has excess energy and she needs to calm down and relax.
- Tell stories. It develops the imagination and allows you to direct energy in a positive direction, as well as helps parents understand the way the child thinks. Instead of the usual stories, you can try therapeutic – fairy tale therapy for children, where each fairy tale is aimed at correcting one of the problems of the baby.
- Play good games and read good books that teach your child kindness, patience, and love of neighbor.
A child may accidentally commit bad deeds. Don’t try to punish her for it every time. If the child’s bad behavior is repeated or has serious consequences – it is necessary to intervene. Before calling your child naughty, try to understand the reasons for his bad behavior. With the right approach and the help of experts, you can solve most of the problems with the child’s behavior and do everything to make him grow up good, smart and fair.